CALLERLAB is the international association of square dance callers.
With roots going back to the mid-1960s, CALLERLAB's core leadership formed in 1971 and the first CALLERLAB convention was held in 1974.
Today, CALLERLAB maintains the "program lists" and definitions of calls from Basic/Mainstream through C-3A.
CALLERLAB fosters professional development and caller training, as well as promoting square dancing and related dance forms.
CALLERLAB offers BMI and ASCAP licensing to its members.
The CALLERLAB Mission Statement is:
To foster the art of square dance calling, and improve caller skills.
IAGSDC and CALLERLAB
- The IAGSDC bylaws state that member clubs must follow the standard square dance programs prescribed by CALLERLAB.
- At 1989's Peel The Apple IAGSDC convention, the staff callers included CALLERLAB executive director John Kaltenthaler and several other CALLERLAB members and caller coaches. They held a brief Introduction to Calling session during convention.
- In the early and mid 1990s, there were several "birds-of-a-feather" sessions at CALLERLAB conventions on the topic of calling for Gay and Lesbian square dance clubs.
- Since 199?, the IAGSDC has been officially represented and recognized at CALLERLAB annual conventions, along with representatives of other national and international dance organizations.
- On several occasions the Chairman of the Board of Governors of CALLERLAB has addressed the IAGSDC delegates meeting at our annual convention.
The IAGSDC and CALLERLAB are both founding members of the ARTS-Dance Foundation.
GCA and CALLERLAB
- Members of the Gay Callers Association (GCA) have belonged to CALLERLAB and attended the annual CALLERLAB convention every year since 1990(?). Today, GCA members (both gay and straight) serve on CALLERLAB committees, serve as committee chairmen and vice-chairmen, serve on the CALLERLAB Board of Governors, and have been Chairman of the Board.
- The GCA Caller School often hires CALLERLAB Accredited Caller Coaches for its annual caller school.
callerlab.org official web site
see also the American Caller's Association