South Florida Mustangs
- From the Program Book of the 4th IAGSDC Convention, held in Portland, OR in 1987:
- In January, 1977 an ad appeared in South Florida's Gay magazine, David inviting anyone interested to a square dance at the Double R bar. On the first night there were only enough dancers for one square but the following week there were two, and soon after, three.
- By Halloween of 1977, there were enough dancers for our first costume square dance ball. During this time each square was sponsored by a local business. We danced weekly for the next three years at the Double R. In 1980 the group moved to the Villa Nova in Hollywood. This same year the present name South Florida Mustangs was adopted.
- In 1981 the group made its first trip, traveling to Houston. There we exhibited Gay square dancing in a bar tour. In the spring of 1982, the group traveled to Denver to dance with the Mite High Squares. That same year the Mustangs performed at the Rodeo in Reno.
- The South Florida Mustangs have been a part of each IAGSDC convention since Seattle, and have performed at rodeos in Colorado, California, Texas, and Arizona, and Gay dance festivals. We sponsor an annual Fly-In, and the IAGSDC was formed at the Crossfire bar during the 1983 event.