COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus disease, caused by SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2.) Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola).
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak of this disease a global health emergency in January 2020, as cases surged in China, where SARS-CoV-2 was first detected. On 11 March 2020, WHO assessed the severity of this outbreak and declared it a pandemic.
Suspension of square dance activities
As recommended by the Center for Disease Control, "social distancing" became a strategy for reducing the spread of COVID-19. This meant suspending classes, workshops, and other dance events until more information could be gathered about the pandemic.
- March 6, 2020: Puddletown Squares canceled its Rain Festival fly-in "Swingin In The Rain."
- March 8, 2020: Puddletown Squares canceled all Level Club nights and classes through the end of March, 2020.
- March 9, 2020: Rosetown Ramblers suspended its dance lessons.
- March 12, 2020: Boots in Squares canceled its season of beginning square dance classes, scheduled to start April 13, 2020. Next class scheduled for September, 2020. Its 27th Anniversdary dance, set for Mar 21, 2020 was also canceled.
- March 12, 2020: Chi-Town Squares suspended all dancing until April 9, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: DC Lambda Squares suspended its activities through March 26, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: Diablo Dancers also suspended activities.
- March 12, 2020: El Camino Reelers suspended club dancing through April 21, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: Foggy City Dancers suspended club dancing through April 6, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: Oaktown 8's suspended club dancing for an indefinite period, due to their hall being shut down by the City of Oakland.
- March 12, 2020: Elks N Does, a non-IAGSDC club in Alameda CA, suspended club dancing for a "two week" period. (Reported by Kurt Gollhardt, who calls for them.)
- March 12, 2020: Outlaws, a non-IAGSDC club in San Jose CA, suspended club dancing for a "two week" period. (Harlan Kerr calls for them.)
- March 12, 2020: Prime 8s cancelled its workshops for the remainder of March, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: Times Squares suspended its activities for the remainder of March, 2020.
- March 12, 2020: Wilde Bunch canceled events and classes through April 5, including its Anniversary Dance to be held March 21, 2020.
- March 13, 2020: Hotlanta Squares suspended club dancing through April 15, 2020.
- March 13, 2020: Ottawa Date Squares canceled all classes until further notice.
- March 14, 2020: Triangle Squares suspended activities until at least April 6, 2020.
- March 14, 2020: Cuesta Squares suspended activites March 14th, 2020 through April 8th, 2020.
- March 15, 2020: Capital City Squares canceled its March, 2020 blast classes.
- March 15, 2020: CALLERLAB canceled its April 6-8, 2020 annual convention.