The Guide to IAGSDC Convention Chapter 31
What are "The Petersen Fund" and "All Join Hands"?
The Petersen Fund of the IAGSDC was established in 1996 with funds from the estate of Joe Petersen of Denver. Joe was a member of the Rocky Mountain Rainbeaus in Denver, and was instrumental in creating and coordinating the Rainbeau's "drag performance contingent," the Rocky Mountain Rainbelles.
In his will, Joe created the Rainbow Trust to provide income for this fund. At the fund's creation, the Executive Board voted to name the fund in Joe's honor. The purpose of this fund was to:
- Promote club growth and development through education, recruitment, and promotion.
- Assist in the establishment of new clubs.
- Promote and advance Gay & Lesbian square dancing and by doing so, advancing the whole activity of square dancing.
- Inform non-dancers of the activity and its benefits.
- Preserve our Gay and Lesbian square dancing heritage as part of the long history of folk dance.
More information on the Petersen Fund can be found at The Petersen Fund.
In 2003, it was announced that the Petersen Fund assets were dwindling, and the Fund would probably run out soon.
To solve this problem, a new charitable institution was created, called the "All Join Hands Foundation," whose sole purpose is to preserve and promote LGBT square dancing.
All Join Hands is a 501(c)(3) charitable foundation, which means donations to AJH are tax deductible.
For more information on the All Join Hands Foundation, or to make a donation, please refer to their website.